The Message Recall feature in Outlook fails
Message Recall will not be successful if:
- The recipient is not using Outlook.
- The recipient is not logged on to the mail service provider.
- The message has been moved from the Inbox.
- The message has been read. This includes viewing the message with the Preview Pane so that the message is flagged as Read.
- You can only attempt to recall a message you sent if you're using Outlook.
- Recipients who aren't using Outlook (e.g. POP3, IMAP4, and OWA users) will get the recall request messages, but they have no way to do a recall.
- If an Outlook recipient opens the message before opening the recall request, the recall will fail.
- Outlook users who have the preview pane turned on may still be able to read the recalled message, even if they haven't opened it.
- Most users will see the recall request and immediately rush to read the message.
- The recipient uses Outlook, and Outlook is running.
- The recipient's mailbox must be open for the recall to succeed.
- The message must still be unread and in the recipient's Inbox.