Powershell for Office 365
PowerShell (also known as Windows PowerShell) is a command-line environment that's designed specifically for system administration. It can help you modify system settings, including ones you cannot find within the Office 365 Admin Center.
Powershell comes pre-installed on all machines from Windows 8 onwards. Most Windows 7 machines also have it too.
Get the PowerShell modules
To connect to your Office 365 with Powershell, you need to install the modules for all the relevant Office 365 systems. You will need the following modules:
- Azure Active Directory Module (for Office 365)
- SharePoint Online
- Skype for Business Online
The cmdlets for administering Exchange Online are not in modules that you can download. They are only available when you connect, and you can then import them.
- Download Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant to sign into Office 365.
- Download Azure Active Directory (AD) Module so that you can perform administrative tasks in Office 365.
- Download SharePoint Online Module so that you can manage SharePoint Online.
- Download Skype for Business Online Module so that you can manage Skype for Business Online.
After installing the modules, you can open a Powershell command window and connect to the office 365 tenancy.